Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Time to look up tomato recipes

The big beefsteaks are coming in heavily now, so much so that I'm not minding sharing some with the little furry or feathered thieves who have been helping themselves to some of this abundance.

This morning I picked at least  4 of the Brandywines from one plant,  as well as a few other beefsteak types, and cherry tomatoes. I also harvested a few cucumbers, some beans, serrano chiles and lot of Italian frying peppers, so an Italian sausage hero with fried onions and peppers looks like it will be on the dinner menu again, in a couple of days.

Lunch today will be marinated eggplant bruschetta. The eggplant has been marinating overnight, so all that garlicky, oil and balasamic marinade, herb goodness can really permeate the eggplant. I think dinner is going to be a pasta using those cherry tomatoes with some mushrooms, zucchini, some golden bush beans, and summer squash - in other words, a pasta primavera using some of the days harvest! I'll add a bit of some cream, and spice it  up a bit with some pepperonici pepper flakes, fresh basil and freshly grated parmesan reggiano. A nice Villa Antinori should go well with it, or maybe something a bit lighter. I'll let our in house wine steward, my husband Jim choose.

Tomorrow I might just make a gazpacho for lunch. I love it. Jim tolerates it; but I'm sure he will survive having it once a year, even if it means I may once again hear "cold soups are not a favorite of mine".

Time for me to dig up some price labels. I'm doing a little show/sale with other members of my women's club luncheon tomorrow and I have to price and pack some of my pottery.  I've been a member for two years and have never attended a single event or meeting, so it's time to at least meet some of my neighbor ladies and have a lovely lunch at the Rogue Valley Country club. Jim said since I've been working too hard lately, he wants us to go out for dinner tomorrow. Sounds like a good plan! 




No comments:

Post a Comment