Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2016

More gardening weather for a day or two

It was overcast the whole time I was gardening and then when I called it a day, the sun came out.

Today and tomorrow are a bit warmer so I'm taking advantage of these milder afternoons and getting a few hours in the veggie garden today and tomorrow. Today I built a new, small, raised bed and planted it with some lettuce and broccoli, and re-planted my terra cotta strawberry planter with ten Quinault ever bearing strawberries. That makes 35 ever bearings planted this year. The other 25 are in a raised bed. 

I have some June bearers on order, so hopefully they will be here soon, so I need to get another bed made for them. This year I decided on planting a lot more strawberry plants than I think I'd need because once the birds and other critters take their share, I never seem to have more than a couple of berries left to nibble in the garden. 

At my old house, a neighbors dog loved to help himself to my strawberries. I like to share; but hey guys, leave me at least as much as you take, alright?

My lone artichoke survived the winter thanks to the mulching I did in the fall. A couple of days ago. I planted a few peat pots with more artichokes  I should have done that a couple of weeks ago, but hopefully they'll do OK this season. It's a variety that produce a larger fruit and since the type my local garden centers sell only produce medium fruit it was time for me to find a variety with bigger fruit since I loved making and eating stuffed artichokes.

Tomorrow I'll be back in the veggie garden AKA the secret garden to make another raised bed  and plant spinach seeds. I already have a bed of spinach starts planted, so these seeds will keep me in fresh spinach later in the spring.

My snow peas aren't up yet but they've only been in about a week. This year I planted a 3 foot section of them, which will be plenty for my stir fry dishes and in my salads, and some to snack on in the garden.  

Well, that's the garden report for today. Time to clean up, get in my pj's and start on my linguine with clams comfort food dinner, and tune in the Grammy awards later.



No comments:

Post a Comment