Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Drip line re-installed in raised bed and 1st asparagus of the season

Yesterday was the first day this month where the weather was warm enough and dry enough for me to get in the garden to transplant some cool weather veggies and do some spring cleanup and weeding.

While weeding, I found two asparagus large enough to harvest, and I can see a couple more just peeking through. I was so afraid that they didn't make it through their first winter!

After finally finding a you tube video on how wide to space the drip lines, I had to pull up all the drip lines I did yesterday in the big raised bed and redo them. I used drip line with drips 12" apart, and planted the lines, 6" apart and they need to be a foot apart. I still have to check if that will be close enough for this  the square foot planting method which calls for much closer planting than normal.

Yesterday I ordered 100 feet of drip line that has 6" drip spacing just in case I have to change it again. I can always use it elsewhere if I don't need it in that bed.

After lunch, and most probably a nap after almost 3 hours of garden work.  I want to go back out and plant some red potatoes in that raised bed. I found a bag of my organic red potatoes in the pantry that are sprouting, and this moon cycle is the perfect time to plant them. I'll also try plant the onions and maybe the Swiss chard as well and that will be enough garden time -today for this 80 year old!


No comments:

Post a Comment