Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2018

Fires are out and the rains have arrived along with my new bread machine

Hope everyone who celebrates the holiday, yesterday, had a lovely Thanksgiving. My family was up for the week and I joined them and friends for dinner at their river ranch. The cold, rainy day, seemed perfect weather to stay indoor and take in all the wonderful aromas coming from the kitchen.

Between the horrible fires and dangerous air, it took forever to get around to planting some of my Siberian and other Irises and a couple of package of daffodil bulbs. As soon as there's a let up in the rain I will have to get out and pull the last of the veggies and tomato cages and other supports.




I treated myself to an early birthday and Christmas present and bought this new Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA bread machine. It's like the Roll Royce model and makes great bread. I had an older model of this that I gave away early in the year when I thought I was gluten intolerant and missed it. Turns out I wasn't gluten intolerant but had another digestive problem. About two weeks ago I found a used Oster bread machine at a local thrift store, and it worked well. In fact, for the price new, I think it's a good deal. I only paid $18 for the used one but it looks like it was rarely used. So I'll be giving that one to my grandson who just moved into his first apartment.

This afternoon I made my first loaf in this new machine and it came out great. Their new cookbook that comes with the unit didn't have a recipe with part white flour and part whole wheat; but I did find a honey wheat recipe on line that the poster said worked on this machine, so I thought I'd give it a try. The bread is tasty, light, rose well and will be my every day bread for toast and sandwiches. The right side of the loaf is a bit lower, so I'll have to check the book to see what caused it. Normally with this machine, which has the same two mixers as the last one I had, I remove the dough after it finished mixing and removed those mixers, and they straighten up the dough before putting it back in the machine for the rise and baking parts of the process.

I'm still getting settled after a year because so much of my time has been spent building a garden from almost scratch. The front and back yard are 100% better but there's still a lot of work to do to get it the way I want; but most of that work will have to wait till spring.

I was going to make soup today from the turkey carcass I brought home yesterday, but had too many other things to deal with so I will be making that tomorrow. Now I just have to hope I can find enough room in the garage fridge freezer for the soup because the freezer in the house is stuffed to the max!

No comments:

Post a Comment